Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Heather Sanderson emailed to say that the electronic version of 8x10 is now available through Shortcovers.

Looking at the site I was happy to see that the book can be purchased not only in its "original" form but on an event-by-event basis. I say "event" because that is what I have been calling the various sections of the book, though I noticed Shortcovers have used the word "chapter". To say that I don't have a problem with the word "chapter" is only partially true, given that chapters, at least for me, connote a linear progression.

Interesting how with DVDs feature-films are now being organized in chapters. We talk a lot about films being made from books, and indeed how film and television have changed our literature; but here is a case where a writing device has been imposed on film, especially when film's closest literary kin is drama (where "scenes" and "acts" are used). Makes me curious when considering films made before the advent of digital technology. Sometimes they've gone so far as to give these chapters names! Not sure how I'd feel about that if I was Jodorowsky.

The idea of making 8x10 available in "chapters" is to allow readers to rearrange the book in a manner they see fit, much like I did when I approached BookRiff about a randomized collage version. If anyone out there were to make their own version of 8x10, I would definitely be interested in reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment