Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Further to Pignatari's "bebe coca cola", a paragraph from Benjamin Moser's 2011 New Directions translation of Clarice Lispector's The Hour of the Star (1977):

I also forgot to say that the account that is soon going to have to start -- since I can no longer withstand the pressure of the facts -- the account that is soon going to have to start is written with the sponsorship of the most popular soft drink in the world even though it's not paying me a cent, a soft drink distributed in every country. Moreover it's the same soft drink that sponsored the last earthquake in Guatemala. Even though it tastes like nail polish, Aristolino soap and chewed plastic. None of this keeps everyone from loving it with servility and subservience. And because -- and now I'm going to say something difficult that only I understand -- because this drink which contains coca is today. It's a way for a person to be up-to-date and in the now.

No comments:

Post a Comment